In early 1927 a group of senior members of Gray’s Inn who were masons petitioned the Bench of the Inn for permission to found a lodge, to be named Gray’s Inn Lodge.
This was duly given and on the 25th October 1927 the new lodge was consecrated in the presence of many senior Grand Lodge Officers, many of whom became joining members of the new lodge. Prominent among those was the earl of Birkenhead, better known as F. E. Smith, a former Lord Chancellor and then Secretary of State for India.
Among many prominent members of the lodge since then, one may mention Lord Justice Hilbery, whose book “Duty and Art in Advocacy” used to be presented to every newly called barrister, Sir Bernard Spilsbury the most famous criminal pathologist of the inter-war period, Freddie Landau who personally planted and nurtured an olive grove in the desert of Palestine, Lord Widgery, Lord Chief Justice of England, and Lord Edmund-Davies, the Judge in the “trial of the century” of the Great Train Robbers.
The ritual book used by the great majority of English lodges was compiled and edited by the Preceptor of the lodges Lodge of Instruction, Judge Alan Trapnell, not being a member of the Gray's Inn Lodge, he was not eligible for membership of the lodge. The lodge is no longer a “closed” one and is open to all men of good character who wish to embrace the principles of openness, morality and community service which characterise Freemasonry.